Friday, October 31, 2014
Search By Keyword
Enterprise Alerts
Email Alerts
Email Address
Text Alerts
Mobile Number
 )  - 
Mobile Provider
standard messaging rates apply
Current Conditions
52°F
Clear
Claxton, GA
Radar & More >>
Hagan Depot dedicated


 
Hagan Depot dedicated

from staff reports
The recently restored and renovated Hagan Depot has been officially dedicated in honor of the Shuman family that donated the structure to the city of Hagan.
Originally built around 1900, the depot was first located one block east of its current site at Tattnall Street and Railroad Avenue North. H.R. Shuman, Jr. purchased the building in the late 1940’s or early 1950’s and relocated it to a site next to the old Shuman Stockyard, which was demolished in 2001. The stockyard was located next to Highway 280 and Brewton Street in Hagan.
During the years that the depot was located on Highway 280 East, the Shuman family used the structure mostly for storage of grain and hay that was used to feed livestock. About two years ago, after it was donated by family members to the city of Hagan, the depot was moved to its present location which required the closing of the Brewton Street railroad crossing. Renovation and restoration of the structure was completed this year in conjunction with Hagan’s observance of Evans County’s Centennial.






For more on the story, subscribe today by calling (912)739-2132
 or by going to the home page and click on Subscribe.

Social Media  
 
Account Login  
Username
Password

  need help?  
 
Advertisers
click ad below for details
  • Show All Ads