Tuesday fire at Claxton Poultry
Quick action of plant maintenance personnel helped save facility
from staff reports
A dehumidifier on the roof of a Claxton Poultry plant building shorted out yesterday morning starting a fire. Evans County Fire Department received the call between 8 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
The fire report was not finalized by press time but Chief Andy Sikes says the fire was under control by 9 a.m.
Sikes commended maintenance personnel at the plant for their quick action. “I commend Claxton Poultry on their fire prevention plan, their shut off plan – shutting ammonia, natural gas – killing electricity,” Sikes said.
“They saved that plant before we got there. We’d still be fighting that fire if it wasn’t for them,” Sikes said Tuesday afternoon.
No injuries were reported. “They had a perfect evacuation plan,” Sikes said.
ECFD firefighters were also quick at getting to their appointed spots due to a Saturday drill at Claxton Poultry a few months ago. “It paid off having that drill … everybody knew where to go,” Sikes said. The department will continue to hold quarterly drills at Claxton Poultry.